Skip to main content

Fashion and Food - My Pandemic Journey

Colors make me happy. 

I do love wearing white dresses. But, I will always team them up with a colorful accessory.

White to me is like a canvas that is waiting to be painted on.

It has been good 14 years since I started my label KIM PEREIRA.  

When I started in 2007, the Saree chose me. Though I am trained in western dresses, I started my career by designing sarees. Destiny had its own plan.

Sarees led me to anarkalis and lehengas, and this all gave me the world 🌎 on a platter. 



There was no looking back from then on. But, I wanted to design white wedding gowns. And this took me from Mumbai back to Goa in 2016. 

It is then that I got to design the first catholic wedding gown. But wait a minute. There is a twist. 

Remember the book Alchemist? Everything that the boy learnt on his journey came in handy later. Right?

So, coming back to the white wedding gown that I got to design for a beautiful goan bride. She wanted golden embroidery on her dress. Surprised? I am glad she dared to be different. 



Had I not lived in Mumbai, and had I not designed embroidered sarees, I would not have been able to do justice to her gown. But you see, destiny is very smart.

By the way, the first garment I designed after finishing my fashion designing course was a ........S A R E E. 

Yes! Can you believe it? I met an embroidery guy by chance in Goa and he helped me design my first saree. A simple saree with threadwork and lace fabric patch. I didnt make a second one as I  only wanted to design western dresses.

I sold that saree without any effort in 2019. I considered it too simple as compared to my bridal saree designs. I  kept it in a pile of clothes and never made any effort to sell it. 

The same year I got interested in the food industry. Just like that. Mastercraft India auditions were happening in Goa. A close friend asked me to participate. 

It was not my dream to be known in the food industry. I wanted to be known as a fashion designer only. 

I went for the auditions just to have fun. Imagine I was the last person to enter the venue. Everyone else had touched there at 10.30am. But, me.....I went there at 4pm.

I love promoting my designs. I chose a beautiful chiffon saree for the auditions, and made a famous goan dish for the judges to taste.



I had no clue about what food plating meant. The fear of not being selected was not there at all as - it was not my dream. I went there to have fun. Anddddddd,  I got selected. 

Damn! What do I do now? 

I have always followed my ❤. I don't do anything that doesn't please my heart. So I  skipped the Mumbai auditions. 

Later few of my friends asked me to start a food group on Facebook. During the auditions I realized that real talent should be promoted than sob stories. I agreed to my friends, and started Realmasterchefs on FB.

There I met chefs from all over the world and got introduced to different cuisines and plating styles. Loved the way they played with the taste of the dish and the colors of the ingredients. 

Colors fascinate me. And it is this love for colors that got me interested in food all the more.

Majority of my earlier life I only ate what was served. Cooking was not my cup of tea. The first time I cooked, my pet refused to eat. I was that bad.

But just like sarees, the food industry chose me. I started trying to plate my food. Food art caught my attention the most. 

One of the chefs posted a dish which she served in a cut glass bottle. My 👀 popped. 

This led me to cutting bottles and decorating them which then led me to design chopping boards made out of natural wood. This is how my other brand ' BATLIWALEE ' was born.


It didn't stop there. I started










painting the wooden pieces and slowly started making hand-painted trays. These trays can be moumted on the wall as a piece of art too. Every tray is unique.

The pandemic taught me to value what I have. It taught me to make the best out of it. 

There is no gain without pain. Being house arrested for weeks because of the lockdown, was not a good feeling at first. But, that made me more creative, more useful.

I am proud of my journey. Hope this inspires you. Just go with the flow. And be good.

Currently I am working on my new saree collection. 

For now, will share few pics related to my journey mentioned here.


And do check my YouTube channel :

www.youtube.com/kimpereirafashiondesigner 

I teach simple #diy #saree #styles #drapes that can make the #sari look so different, on my channel.


I have an annual contest going on. Check my latest post on Instagram to know more.

www.instagram.com/kimpereiraofficial 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rochelle Maria Rao - Femina Miss India International

Heartiest Congratulations to the beautiful Rochelle Maria Rao on winning the Miss India International title at the Pantaloons Femina Miss India 2012. All the very best and God Bless You. I met her for the Goa Navy Queen Pageant in Dec'11 as she was the emcee for the show; and she carried my saree so gracefully. She is a beautiful person and I wish her all the luck.

Stylish Cushion Covers for your Beautiful Homes

For any queries please email me : pereirakim99@yahoo.com   and let the above subject line be the same as your email subject.